These cheesy Italian sausage flatbreads are super simple and definitely a favorite around here. I love one-pan flatbreads because they can be made with pretty much whatever you want and are perfect for an appetizer or quick dinner!
Keep them simple with sauce and cheese or pile on a bunch of toppings – in this case buttery tomato sauce, two cheeses, Italian sausage, and roasted veggies. Yum!
The sauce used for this recipe is also ridiculously simple and is a good one to keep handy. All you need is tomato paste, butter, salt, and pepper. That’s it.
Once your veggies and sausage are roasted, prep your flatbreads and load them up with toppings. Pop them in the oven and wait until they’re golden brown and bubbly.
Enjoy with a salad or beer if you’re into that sort of thing 🙂
Deliciously Simple One-Pan Cheesy Italian Sausage Flatbreads
- 1/2 Red Onion (Cut into 1/2 inch slices)
- 1 Anaheim Pepper (Cored and sliced into 1/4 rings. Can substitute poblano or bell pepper)
- 5-6 Baby Bella Mushrooms (Cut into 1/4 slices)
- 3 Italian Sausage Links (Roughly 9 oz)
- 2 Flatbreads
- 1.5 oz Tomato Paste
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Halve, peel, and cut onion into 1/2 inch wedges. Core and slice the pepper into 1/4 rings. Cut the mushrooms into 1/4 slices.
- Toss veggies on a lightly oiled baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage to the same sheet (whole). Roast for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the veggies are soft and sausage is fully cooked.
- In the meantime, put 2 tbsp butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, until the butter melts, then mix in 1/4 cup water and tomato paste until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the veggies and sausage are roasted, remove them from baking sheet and put your flatbreads on the same sheet. Toast the flatbreads on the top rack for 3-4 minutes until slightly browned.
- Remove the flatbreads from the oven and slice your sausage into 1/2 inch pieces. Spread the flatbreads with the tomato sauce mixture, then top with mozzarella, Monterey Jack, veggies, and sausage.
- Broil on high for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Watch carefully to avoid burning! Speak from many, many experiences 🙂
- Allow the flatbreads to cool – slice and enjoy!